Scoot F.A.Q.

Q. What do I need to operate a scooter legally?

Laws vary from country to country, state to state, and some cities, towns, or other local authorities may have their own rules. For that reason it's difficult to provide an accurate answer for everyone. Some areas have hardly any requirements for 49cc scooters and others mandate insurance, registration, use of a helmet, and more. Your best bet is to look up your local laws online and speak with someone at your local motor vehicle administration branch office. I have included links to scooter info in each of the sections HERE by state to make it easier to get started with your research.

In many states anything over 50cc is considered a motorcycle. If your scooter is too large or too fast to be used as a scooter/moped you will need to acquire a motorcycle license, insurance, registration, and possibly more. Links to motorcycle operator manuals are included in the state by state listings to help you learn the rules of the road and study for motorcycle tests. If you don't like the idea of taking tests and the MVA/DMV, you may be able to get your license mostly through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. MSF courses can also be great learning tools for old or new riders.

Related Info :
Links To Scooter Info By State
Motorcycle Safety Foundation

<< Back to the Scoot F.A.Q.

If you find the information here helpful, please consider making a donation.